PatientsColorectal cancer, although one of the deadliest forms of cancer, can be cured if caught early. Early treatment dramatically increases the chance of survival. Please take the necessary steps to get tested.
- Colorectal cancer (CRC) is the second leading cause of cancer related deaths in the U.S.
- Lifetime risk of developing CRC is 1 in 20.
- CRC is the 3rd most prevalent type of cancer.
- More than 130,000 new cases of CRC will be diagnosed this year.
- Almost 50,000 people will die from CRC this year.
- Less than 40% of CRC cases are detected at an early stage.
- If detected at an early stage, 90% of all CRC deaths are preventable.
ACG Guidelines for CRC Screening 2008, American Cancer Society, www.cancer.org; National Cancer Institute, www.nci.nih.gov; Center for Disease Control, www.cdc.gov; 2011:2013 Cancer facts and Figures